Presumably, the most important document on satellites strategy.
The fact that there are no books about satellites is surprising because there is no easier way to win a big tournament and make a large amount of money than through satellites. As the authors stated:
‘The fact that you have bought this book means you have your own reasons for playing satellites, but there are probably a few that you may not have thought of.
The first, most obvious, and perhaps the best reason to play in a satellite is because it means you can play an event beyond your bankroll for a fraction of the price. If you have only dreamt about playing a World Series of Poker or European Poker Tour event, then the best route to playing one is by winning a package online. If the $10,000 or €5,300 buy-in is out of your price range, but $215 is not, then you could parlay your satellite skills into a seat in one of these events.’
About the authors
Dara O’Kearney is a pro poker player from Ireland. Dara is regarded as a satellite specialist.
He won twice the PokerStars UKIPT satellite leaderboard. O’Kearney is Unibet sponsored player.
The co-author, Barry Carter comes from Sheffield in the United Kingdom. He writes for PokerStrategy and is also the co-author of:
- Endgame Poker Strategy: The ICM Book.
- The Mental Game of Poker 1 & 2,
- Poker Satellite Strategy,
- PKO Poker Strategy
Poker Satellite Strategy is GTO based, but the authors also included lots of info about stack, positional, and tourney phase exploits.
This book will teach you:
- Basic poker math – necessary (and painless) calculations such as ‘Average Cash Stack’ and ‘Chance of Cashing’
- GTO ranges
- Adjustments required from a standard poker tournament strategy
- Which hands to play when close to the paid places
- When to play tight
Also, Barry and Dara present the latest solver technology in an easily understood fashion.
All the theoretical foundations for satellites are backed by hard mathematics.
A massive positive is that you can get the audio version of this book for free.
It is easy to read and follow, but you must practice implementing “Gorilla Maths” in your game.
There is no replacement for doing the work yourself, but this book will make it easier as it shows the most typical spots you will experience in satellite tournaments.
The book is suitable for any skill-level players who want to improve their satellite game. It is for you if you don’t know why and when you should fold AA in a satellite tournament.
You can find a free sample of this book on Amazon if you want to hear it.
* One more thing. Bookokpoker is an independent blog. I don’t get paid for it. So, if you decide to buy any of the books, please do it via the links on this website. This way, I will get a tiny commission from Amazon (between 4-5% of the price) at no extra cost to you. It will help me to create more valuable content for you. Thank you!
- Great niche product
- Good value
- Available in audio
- Well written
- Easy to follow
- Lots of great info and strategies with solid explanations
- Free on Audible
- Some tables don't display correctly on Kindle